Philippolis, South Africa
Tigress Julie Lodge
Tigress Julie Lodge - All Inclusive
Perched on the edge of a cliff, the Tigress Julie Lodge extends over 5000 square feet and comprises three bedrooms each catering for two guests, with one room able to sleep three with an additional day bed. Every room features a private balcony with spectacular views of the namesake canyon. These exclusive rooms are elegantly styled in fine furnishings inspired by the landscape.
This luxurious property is located in a remote part of the canyon. Tucked below the horizon, the building is hidden from the surrounding game drive areas. This off-grid eco-lodge is designed to provide maximum comfort with minimal environmental impact.
Witness, cocktail in hand, the big sky deepen across the canyon. Relax by the glorious outdoor pool as the sun sets over the Karoo, and gather around the fire to share starlit stories.
Catered game drives (included) depart early in the early morning and the late afternoon for scouted tiger sightings. These times also provide the best light for your photographs, especially when the afternoon slips into the famous golden hour — a window of light when the landscape softly glows.
Tiger Canyon is an ex-situ conservation project that has established a sanctuary for wild Bengal tigers in the South African heartland: today the reserve is home to the only population of wild tigers outside of Asia.
With the completion of the off-grid and exclusive Tigress Julie Lodge, Tiger Canyon has merged conservation with ecotourism: guests are able to witness the success of this groundbreaking conservation model first-hand, viewing wild tigers in a natural and free environment in the rugged beauty of the Karoo.
Exclusive vehicle R2500 pd
Exclusively guided by John Varty (founder of TC) – an extra R15 000 per group per day. (subject to availability)
Shuttle to and from Bloemfontein Airport R8000 for up to 6 people.
Shuttle to and from Gariep Dam tar runway R4000 for up to 6 people.
Stay in lodge with only 1 game drive per day R7000 pppn sharing.
Stay without any game drives R6000 pppn sharing.
Discount for personal booking of whole lodge – less 15% = R7225 pppn sharing (20% if booking is for 3 or more nights – R6800 pppn sharing).
Children under 16 years old – R3995 pppn for up to 3 children staying in one room.
Any special request – please feel free to enquire and we will try accommodate your request and obtain a quote.
(Fee for organizing any other service like flights, car hire, accommodation, etc. is cost plus 10%)
Laundry – on request, same day service included in the price.
Cancelation policy: 80% refund before 60d before safari date (subject to commissions already paid). If safari is within 60d of starting, then no refund but we will allow guest to reschedule to another date.
Children policy – under 8 years old not advisable, but should they wish to travel with guest to the property, that’s fine.
THIRDHOME has partnered with VIATOR, one of the largest online destination tours and activities provider, featuring thousands of tours and activities to choose from within a global platform of exciting offerings. VIATOR is perfect for “Do It Yourself” planners to consider when seeking to book a sightseeing day tour, city spree, regional day trips, including local city happenings.
Click the link below to view VIATOR tours and activities:
3 bedrooms, 3 baths, and 5000 square feet
King, King, and King
6 guests maximum
Commercial Airport: Bloemfontein Intl (BFN) 2.5hrs drive to TC / Private Runway: Gariep Dam Tar Runway (FAHV) 45 min drive to TC
- Air Conditioning
- Chef's Kitchen
- Espresso Machine
- Gated Community
- Laundry Service
- Outdoor Grill
- Outdoor Pool
- Washer & Dryer
- Wireless Internet
Activities of Interest
- Tiger safaris - Nothing compares to the visceral thrill of seeing a real tiger living in the natural wild alongside indigenous African wildlife. That magical moment when you lock eyes with one of these precious big cats, stays with you for life.
- Game drives - You will have a mix of exciting sightings with plenty of time to just appreciate the animals, lots of discussion with your guide & also the chance to learn about other aspects of the bush such as plants, birds, how to track animals, etc.
- Oom Japie se Huis Bookstore & Restaurant - This wonderful and expansive bookstore lives in a Victorian home dating to 1881. The store also doubles as a mini-restaurant and art gallery.
- Waterkloof Craft Brewery - This microbrewery proudly serves its signature Karoobossie and Kapokbossie ales and the town is home to more than 200 bird species like the African fish eagles and the once-rare but now recovering Blue Cranes
- Philippolis - This quaint town is the first settlement established in the Free State, and still holds onto the principles and small town atmosphere that the town has been used to since 1822.
- Bush lunches - Our guides prepare fully catered bush lunches at various lookout points on the reserve, including our lake observation point which features serene views of the Van Der Kloof Dam, the second largest storage dam in South Africa.
- Sundowners - Witness the breathtaking Karoo sunset at selected observation points on the reserve, followed by dinner at the Tigress Julie Lodge.
- Star gazing - The Karoo region of South Africa is famous for its clear night skies allowing for some of the best stargazing in the world. Our guides provide informative star talks in the starlit peace of the bush
- Wildlife walks - Join our guides for specialised walks in which we search for cheetah on foot, in a unique close-range viewing experience
Places of Interest
- Tiger Canyon - You will be staying in a truly incredible part of South Africa, one to tick off your bucket list. See tigers up close with an experienced guide as they roam freely through the sanctuary.
- Gariep Dam Nature Reserve (1.5 hrs) - The Free State’s largest nature reserve, it's the ideal place to spot some amazing wildlife like wildebeest, blesbok, impala, springbok and several other species.
- Otterskloof - Private hunting reserve which offers close wildlife encounters with sable, roan, zebra, buffalo and more. All guest income goes towards positive conservation efforts.
- Rolfontein Nature Reserve (2 hrs) - 8 000 hectares of mountainous terrain, Karoo plains, little dolerite koppies and densely wooded mountain kloofs. Visitors can picnic in the reserve, or overnight in the basic tented camp.
- Explorative hikes - Our guides will accompany you on designated hiking trails on the reserve, immersed in the untouched beauty of this unique terrain.
Incredible, once in a lifetime experience. A special place.
Words nor photos can describe the experience and stay at the Tigress Julie Lodge. It truly is a rare place on earth. The people, the lodge overlooking the canyon, the tigers, the cheetah family and the rest of the wildlife exploring the untouched landscape were all just amazing. Sizie and Chantelle and the knowledgable guides were excellent hosts. Tiger Canyon is in the Great Karoo. A area of South Africa I have not been too and is not as touristy as the Kruger areas. This is part of the allure. The lodge is very comfortable. 3 Large Bedrooms all with views. We were there in the winter so it was chilly in mornings and evenings but our fireplaces kept us warm. The food was 5-star quality as we tried Ostrich, Lamb and other South African specialties. You must bring or rent excellent photo equipment so you can to take advantage of the opportunity to record the tigers in the wild for memories. If you are lucky enough to get a chance to visit Tiger Canyon via third home you will remember this trip forever. We cannot wait to go back.”